Communication skills

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 17:18:50 UTC 2007

On 11/1/07, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
>  > I can't wait to hear what excuses you'll come up with this time...
>
> It's the same old excuse: a limited amount of time to volunteer.
> Everyone on the OSI board is a busy person.  Any suggestions other
> than "work harder"?  Note that volunteering other people's time
> doesn't go over very well in the open source world.

I think that there is a legitimate question that the board needs to
discuss-- the extent to which OSI wants to be an  open and transparent
organization.  Right now the OSI is not very transparent at all.  If
that is OK with the OSI board, then so be it.  If it is felt that we
need more transparency as a matter of credibility on the OFSS
community and as a matter of ensuring that people who participate are
treated as full participants then a few changes need to be made.

1)  Recommend dropping the confidentiality of submitted legal analysis
and suggest that the process is that this analysis be sent both to the
board and this list.

2)  Recommend posting Board minutes either to a web site or to another
public email list.  I think this list could be used for this since
there is usually something related to this list in there.

3)  Recommend that board minutes and press releases get published
simultaneously.

I will admit that my suggstions do impose a slight additional burden
on some officers of the organization (mot notably the secretary) but
this does not result in additional time burt rather a commitment to
get certain necessary work done in a timely manner (a commitment which
should be a requirement of such an individual anyway).

Hope this helps.
Chris Travers