Patent Liability Insurance

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Tue May 15 18:54:37 UTC 2007

Matt Asay wrote:
> Anyone know how OIN could play in this game of Microsoft's?  Meaning, would
> open source companies/projects benefit from joining OIN (if that's even
> possible - looks like a Big Boys club).

Basically, OIN licenses their patent portfolio to any company that
agrees not to allege the "Linux System" infringes their patents.  Of
course, "Linux System" sounds ambiguous and means far more than the
kernel.  There's a long list at
http://www.openinventionnetwork.com/pat_linuxdefpop.html of covered
packages; those packages didn't do anything to get on (they have no
obligations to OIN).  Now, the big boys you referred to are the ones who
gave them the patents in that portfolio (since they have some to spare).
 But OIN apparently accepts patent donations from anyone.

>  Seems like a good way to get cover
> against spurious patent claims...?

It's a start.  I think OIN has a few patents they can use against Microsoft.

Matt Flaschen