Patent Liability Insurance

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Tue May 15 03:03:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 14 May 2007, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
> Patents are being granted on things where there is an obvious prior art.  The
> Supreme court has even commented that they have been granted in excess for
> the past several years.  I suggest this problem is much much more broad than
> open source.

I always figured that at some point the cost of patents to the industry as
a whole (excepting trolls with no other revenue stream) would become so
burdensome that even traditionally patent-loving firms would petition for
wholesale effective reform.  It'll be interesting to watch how this case
plays out:

 	Brian