Contributor License Agreements

Bruce Alspaugh compulinkltd at gmail.com
Mon May 14 14:54:45 UTC 2007

My company is considering releasing a software library under an
open-source license.  We are contemplating requiring contributors to
return a signed Contributor License Agreement similar to the one used by
Sun[1], Apache[2], and many others.

The advantages we see with CLAs are to preserve the option of
re-releasing under a different license, and to strengthen our ability to
defend license violations if necessary.  The disadvantages we see are
the added administrative burden of maintaining them, and reluctance on
the part of contributors to sign them.

When are CLAs advisable for open source projects? Are there other CLA
templates we should consider?

Sincerely,

Bruce Alspaugh, CTO
CompuLink, Ltd.