Choosing a license

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri May 11 18:36:28 UTC 2007

Bruce Alspaugh wrote:
> So what this all means is that if an MPL project attempts to link to a
> GPL library, the GPL will apply to the entire combined work due to the
> "viral" nature of the GPL.

Yes, the whole would probably (possibly depending on the nature of the
library) have to be licensed under the GPL.

> However, the terms and conditions the GPL imposes on the MPL code
> are incompatible with the terms and conditions of the MPL license.
> Thus, the combined work can never be released without an alternative
> GPL-compatible license being offered.

Yes, every part of the combined work must be under a GPL compatible license.

> On the other hand, if LGPL code links to GPL code or is copied into GPL
> code, the terms and conditions of the GPL would apply to the entire
> combined work, but the license terms and conditions are otherwise
> compatible.  However, we could not combine the enhancements back into
> the LGPL library.

I think that's correct.  LGPL code can be used in GPL code, but not
vice-versa.

> So theoretically the Mozilla Foundation and the FSF could work together
> to make their respective licenses compatible.

Theoretically.  But I don't really understand the "complex restrictions
that make it incompatible"

Best,

Matthew Flaschen