For Approval: Educational Community License 1.0

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Tue May 1 17:29:30 UTC 2007

Huh - one would think laws about IP created with state funds would be even
easier to work into this model, as it would presumably either assign
ownership to the state, or specify that it be "public domain", or
otherwise liberally licensed - in any case further separating the academic
institution's other IP (that they are interested in excluding from this
pool) from the open source project.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that making the scope of the
patent rights less clear for recipients (placing the burden on them to
determine who the employers of contributors are, and whether the
contributions were on the clock or off, etc) is an improvement that merits
certification as a new open source license - even aside from the lack of
empathy I feel for IP holders who own so much IP they can't even be
burdened to enumerate any that might apply to their contributions.  :)

A license like this would seem to significantly weaken the value of the
software for new users - a new university wishing to use it would now have
greater worries about legal jeopardy from the organizations sponsoring the
work.  Given the precedent set and worries about the Blackboard patent, I
would have expected academic institutions lean towards greater protections
rather than fewer.

 	Brian

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Christopher D. Coppola wrote:
> Thanks for your thoughtful comments. We pursued this idea during the Summit
> we held on licensing among our community. Unfortunately we could not get
> agreement from some of the key members of our community (key contributors).
> Specifically it was cited that this approach would be inconsistent with CA
> law relating to ownership of IP created with state funds.
>
> /Chris.
>

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Christopher D. Coppola wrote:
>>> We had a chance to discuss the suggestion that we should mention in the
>>> ECL
>>> 2.0 that there is only one sentence that is different from the Apache 2.0