Followup on Exhibit B licences

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Mar 15 16:13:42 UTC 2007

> I can verify that when we borrowed the phrase from the OSL to put in
> the CDDL, the intent was to try to close the non-distribution loophole
> (aka the App Server Gap ;-) ).  This was documented when the CDDL was
> submitted to OSI for approval.

Unfortunately, you borrowed only the beginning of the phrase. OSL reads
"made available as an application intended for use over a network...." None
of that qualifying and explaining wording was incorporated into CDDL. The
phrase "makes available" by itself carries none of that additional meaning.

/Larry