For Approval: Artistic License 2.0

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Mar 14 07:31:17 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen scripsit:

> I agree.  The main issue I had was with "(6) You may Distribute a
> Modified Version in Compiled form without the Source, provided that you
> comply with Section 4 with respect to the Source of the Modified Version."
>
> Is that intended to allow proprietary modifications?
> doesn't seem to require source distribution for modified versions, only
> specifying how the source *can* be distributed.

It is.  The Artistic License is not now, nor has it ever been, a
copyleft license.

You can distribute your hacked proprietary version of Perl in
binary form only provided you don't call it "Perl" and provided
your installation does not screw up an existing or future
installation of Perl.

--
John Cowan   cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths