For Approval: Socialtext Public License ("STPL")

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Fri Mar 9 13:24:09 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
> I don't think there would be an OSD #10 problems if HTTP, and possibly
> the unnecessary "You must not remove that facility from the Contributor
> Version" were removed.  All network apps should be able to implement
> this, even if it is just a link to a source zip.

But it said the "covered code" what if I want to re-purpose part of it
as a non-network app..
It does not make provision for a non-network app.
>> Larry Rosen gave a history of the clause in the previous discussion and
>> it was originally prompted by click-through licenses.
>>

> Can you give us some pointers to this discussion?

http://www.nabble.com/Re:--Fwd:-FW:-For-Approval:-Generic-Attribution-Provision--t2917209i80.html

"OSD #10 was written in response to something entirely different."
>   I would suggest that this is substantively similar and I question
>
>> whether it really adds much these days.  Google/email pretty much serve
>> the same purpose.
>>

> What purpose?  How does that handle private modifications in an ASP
> scenario?
>
>   Moreover just requiring the license be included in distibutions with
> notification of

You can email someone to get the source :-)
>> where/how the user can request the source code
>> can serve this purpose much more fault tolerantly and securely.
>>

> No, that's not right.  They might never distribute and users wouldn't be
> able to get the (potentially modified) code the server is actually
> using.  The whole point of Affero (and I assume STPL) is to remedy this
> problem/issue.

Ahh.  I did miss the point.
>> Moreover, the clause doesn't assist lead generation for the source
>> company (assuming intent) as it requires the
>> mechanism not the destination.
>>

> It's about preventing reusers from benefiting from hidden changes.  If
> nothing else, the source company benefits by having the ability to
> incorporate otherwise hidden modifications into their software.

thanks for clarifying.

--
No PST Files Ever Again
Buni Meldware Communication Suite