Followup on Exhibit B licences

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Mar 7 21:28:31 UTC 2007

Christiaan Erasmus writes:
 > I still believe that the TPL adheres to the OSI definitions and the
 > spirit of open source and there is no reason for us to change the
 > license now and then again in a couple of weeks.

Okay, but I caution you against calling your software "Open Source" as
SugarCRM does.  That creates a reliance defense for redistributors to
say "If you call your software Open Source then you are claiming that
your license complies with the Open Source Definition, so we are free
to do anything the Open Source Definition allows."  If you claim "Open
Source", you are in effect incorporating the Open Source Definition as
an appendix of your license.  That may result in a legal liability
that exceeds the benefit of claiming that your software is Open Source.

Caution: sharks in these waters!

--
--my blog is at    http://blog.russnelson.com   | You can do any damn thing
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | you want, as long as you