For Approval: Common Public Attribution License (CPAL)

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Fri Jun 29 21:17:51 UTC 2007

Ross Mayfield wrote:

>  First, your example is hypothetical: it assumes that multiple
> entities will decide to use CPAL and demand attribution. We are
> skeptical that this situation will arise.

That is if you assume that SocialText or whatever will be at the top of
the stack forever.

Tomcat begat JBoss (et al) and now we have Meldware potentialy running
on both as well as various ESBs, CRMs, etc.

Tomorrows software will include Socialtext at the bottom of the stack of
a much larger aggregation of software.

 > If it does arise, we believe
 > that the licensors will be practical enough to work it out.

an interesting business model.

 > Moreover,
 > the "prominent" requirement is flexible and can accommodate different
 > screens sizes and different numbers of attributions.

And sufficient ambiguity for salesmen to call anyone aggregating such
licensed software for "guilt money".

--
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
http://buni.org