Politics-Free Licence ;)

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 07:50:12 UTC 2007

On 6/28/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> I appreciate what you are attempting here, but this clause really
> doesn't do anything.  If a program isn't a derivative work under
> copyright law, your license can't cover it.

The thing is, the FSF say that works that (for example) link to a
library are derivative works, and plenty of people agree with them.
But Google also turns up plenty of people who doubt it.

I agree with what you are saying - if the FSF interpretation is
correct, and iff it extends even to libraries in interpreted
languages, then that section adds nothing.  But since that
interpretation hasn't really been tested, surely there is space in a
software licence to insert some clarification and condiditions? - if
you don't like them, well then you can't use the licence.

I hadn't spotted the SimPL, by the way, thanks for pointing it out.

Best wishes,

Nicholas