LGPL vs. GPL + Classpath Exception

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Fri Jun 8 03:37:26 UTC 2007

Roger Fujii wrote:
> IMHO, the classpath license is internally inconsistant as it seems to imply
> that unmodified use "does not affect the licensing for distributing those
> programs directly", but the license itself does not say this anywhere.

Yes it does.  That's the significance of "As a special exception, the
copyright holders of this library give you permission to link this
library with independent modules to produce an executable, /regardless
of the license terms of these independent modules/"

I.E. you can make your independent module (program that uses Classpath
or OpenJDK) proprietary.

Matt Flaschen