Simplified BSD license

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Jun 5 18:02:34 UTC 2007

Chuck Swiger scripsit:

> If you check here:
>
>     http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
>
> ...note that they've included the 1999 statement from UCal/Berkeley
> stating that clause 3 is "hereby deleted in its entirety."

That refers to clause 3 of the original or 4-clause BSD, the "obnoxious"
required-advertising clause, which made it incompatible (according to
the FSF) with the GPL:

      * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
      *    must display the following acknowledgement:
      *    This product includes software developed by the University of
      *    California, Berkeley and its contributors.

Anything licensed by UCB itself under the 4-clause BSD is now as if
it were licensed under the 3-clause BSD, and it's the latter which is
explicitly OSI certified.  That says nothing about the use of the 4-clause
BSD by other licensors (the NetBSD Foundation uses it on their code),
or about the 2-clause BSD which is the subject of the current proposal.

My view is that both the 2-clause and the 4-clause BSD are obviously Open
Source, and that the 2-clause should be certified, since it is known to
be in use and someone has requested it.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in the academic