License Committee Report for July 2007

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 22:04:12 UTC 2007

On 7/31/07, Wilson, Andrew <andrew.wilson at intel.com> wrote:
[...]
> you think).  Look specifically at the case of a GPLv2-only program
> linking to an LGPLv3 library where the "system library" exception does
> not apply.  GPLv2 says the entire Combined Work
> falls under its copyleft.

Speaking of which, how does that (LGPLv3 aside) relates to OSD#9:
"License Must Not Restrict Other Software... Rationale: Distributors
of open-source software have the right to make their own choices about
their own software"?

Well,

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

says that

"Yes, the GPL is conformant with this requirement. Software linked
with GPLed libraries only inherits the GPL if it forms a single work,
not any software with which they are merely distributed"?

but I just grasp what is meant by phrase "single work" and distinction
regarding an aggregation of GPLvX work with other works (e.g.
libraries) with which it is merely distributed (?"Combined Work"?).

Any help?  TIA.

regards,
alexander.