jurisdiction and venue

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue Jul 31 02:49:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 10:38:48PM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Ned Lilly writes:
>  > Are you permitted to change the jurisdiction and/or venue in an
>  > OSI-approved license?  For example, if I wanted to use the new
>  > CPAL, I see that it is governed by California law, and the venue
>  > for any litigation would be Santa Clara County.
>
> No, you can't change it.  The license author expects their language to
> be construed according to California law and the District Court that
> Santa Clara lies in.

If the license is itself under a free license, I don't see why altering
the choice of jurisdiction/venue would be a problem. Of course, changes
in legal interpretation might render the license unworkable or impose
restrictions that would make it impossible to comply with the OSD. But
that's hardly a given.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org