Near Public Domain license

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jul 26 16:00:09 UTC 2007

David Shofi wrote:

I find it quite unbelievable that a clear and unequivocal statement that an
original copyrighted work is dedicated to the public would not serve to
provide the necessary rights to anyone choosing to use the work in an OSS
project, regardless of the OSS license used by that project.

Once again the public domain rears its undisciplined head! :-) Dedicate your
works to the public domain if you insist, but it is so easy to say:
"Licensed to the public under the BSD license."

Jean-Marc Lienher said that he didn't want "acknowledgement over which he
has no control." Do you think he can control or prevent acknowledgement
through a public domain dedication? Most recipients of software will follow
their own ethical duty not to plagiarize and will acknowledge even the
public domain works they copy. (I attribute certain statements to
Shakespeare even though his works are in the public domain.) Modern open
source licenses protect authors' reputations through attribution provisions
that say directly what licensees must or must not do; public domain
dedications leave all that out. Most software authors appreciate provisions
like "Don't use my name or trademark to promote your versions of this
software." It is the rare author who wants to leave that to chance.

Mr. Lienher also said he doesn't like provisions that require that a copy of
the license be included with the code. And yet anyone who copies works
dedicated to the public domain would be wise to include at least the
copyright notice and the public domain notice with those copies to help
prove the pedigree of the code. So what is anyone actually saving here?

If an author thinks even the BSD license is too strict, try saying this:

    Copyright 20xx author-name.

    Licensed to the public under the BSD license.

    Copyright owner hereby waives the right to enforce the conditions of the
BSD license.

At least that way the BSD's important warranty disclaimers would continue to
apply, and the author would have all the other legal benefits of using a
license rather than some public domain dedication for which the copyright
law has made no provision.

/Larry

P.S. Please don't take this as a recommendation to use the BSD license.
There are much better and more comprehensive academic-style licenses on
OSI's list. This technique of expressly waiving enforcement of license
conditions can be used with those licenses too. And it doesn't require OSI's
approval of a new license to do so.

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243

Skype: LawrenceRosen

Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and

                Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)

  _____