LGPL 2.1 + GPL 3 = problems?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Jul 15 16:57:46 UTC 2007

Smith, McCoy scripsit:

> FSF put out a matrix relating to the compatability of various FSF
> licenses:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility
>
> The answer on LGPL 2.1 + GPL 3 is a bit complex, and requires a
> footnote.

That matrix is useful, but it's about physically incorporating code
rather than constructing a larger work with LGPLed components, which
is what the OP was (mostly) asking about.  That remains no problem: an
LGPLed library combined with GPL version X components can and must be
released as a whole under GPL version X.  (If there are other components,
they must be compatible with GPL version X, of course.)

What's annoying is that GPLv2-only and GPLv3-only components cannot
be combined into a larger work.  Consequently, the original commons
of GPLv2 work is now divided into a GPLv2 commons and a GPLv3 commons,
with a large overlap due to dual licensing.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
And now here I was, in a country where a right to say how the country should