how much right do I have on my project, if there are patches by others?

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sun Jul 8 01:50:28 UTC 2007

David Woolley wrote:

> However, if you were right, that would fundamentally undermine copyleft
> licences, as, a contributor could contribute a small but non-trivial
> patch and then relicence the whole product under their proprietary licence.

It would seem that any interpretation except a series of independent
(i.e. neither joint nor collective) derivative works would undermine
copyleft.  If programs are collective works, the primary author can
relicense contributions (without explicit copyright assignment) to a
copyleft program under a proprietary license.  If they are joint works,
any major contributor can do so.

Matthew Flaschen