why is taking open-source code closed expensive?

Joseph Hick leet16y at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 13:11:39 UTC 2007

from
http://www.catb.org/~esr/Licensing-HOWTO.html#id2790430

"What keeps most projects open-source isn't the threat
of lawsuit, it's that taking open-source code closed
is an expensive way to lose lots of money as your
handful of salaried in-house developers tries to keep
up with a much larger pool of open-source
contributors."

i didn't understand why taking open-source code and
keeping it closed is expensive?

"Are copyleft licenses enforceable? We believe they
are, but there hasn't been a court test yet. There are
some promising precedents in case law pertaining to
shrink-wrap licenses"

if we are not sure that licenses like GPL v3 are
enforceable under law then how do so many programmers
take the risk of releasing their project under GPL
v3.? :-O