For Approval: Open Source Hardware License

Allison Randal allison at perl.org
Fri Jul 6 23:34:03 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
>> It would be a shame if the pioneers of the open hardware movement
>> weren't given the opportunity to benefit from the years of hard-earned
>> experience in the open software community.
>
> I can't help noticing that OSI _certifying_ only software licences
> wouldn't equate to it somehow hoarding its experience.  Either I'm
> missing something, or perhaps you are.  ;->

In terms of practical applications, I see two extremes, and a range in
between:

- Software and hardware are completely separate, the OSI declares itself
as only interested in software, and has absolutely no interest in
talking about hardware licenses. In which case, the discussion
continues, but somewhere else.

- Software and hardware are taken as one lump, the OSI is interested in
licenses for hardware (whether applications of existing licenses, or
creation of licenses more relevant to hardware), and this is the perfect
place to discuss the future of hardware licenses.

Flipping bits on various attributes in the two extremes defines the
alternatives between the two extremes.

Allison