how much right do I have on my project, if there are patches by others?

Joseph Hick leet16y at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 6 10:50:12 UTC 2007

if I release a project under GNU GPL license i know
that i hold the copyright to it. through GNU GPL, i do
not allow others to sell my software as closed source
as make commercial benefits. but at the same time, i
can sell my own software as closed source under
commercial licenses if i wish.

but things become different when someone submits a
patch to my software. the patch-submitter holds the
copyright on the patch. so if I include it into my
software, do I lose the right to sell my own software
under a commercial license? :-(

so in order to avoid it, i have to reject his patch
and code the same changes myself. is there any other way?