For Approval: Open Source Hardware License

Allison Randal allison at perl.org
Thu Jul 5 21:06:51 UTC 2007

Jamey Hicks wrote:

> There are no OSI-approved licenses for open source hardware, so I am
> proposing this license. It is derived from the Artistic License. This
> license treats source code written in a hardware description language
> such as Verilog or VHDL as a copyrighted entity, unlike the TAPR Open
> Hardware License. The goal with this license is to enable the use of
> open source components in commercial aggregates while requiring the
> sharing of modifications to those open source components.

You might want to look into basing this license on the Artistic License
version 2.0, instead of version 1.0. After spending several years
working on cleaning up the ambiguities in the original Artistic License,
I would hate to see them resurrected in a new license.

I'm happy to help. I'm very interested in seeing solid open hardware
licenses enter the field.

Allison

--
Director, The Perl Foundation