Submitting GPLv3 and LGPLv3 for OSI inclusion.

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Mon Jul 2 16:37:03 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

>>     b) Requiring preservation of specified reasonable legal notices
or
>>     author attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal
>>     Notices displayed by works containing it; or
>
> This is still disturbingly broad.  If certain forms of author
> attribution, such as the original MPL+B that required /all/ programs
> (GUI or not) to display a fixed-size logo with link, are considered
> "reasonable" this clearly fails OSD #10.

This, of course, is not a provision of GPLv3 per se, but rather an
allowed
provision of the defined class of non-GPL licenses whose code may be
relicensed under GPLv3.  The obvious intent here is to make Apache
2.0-type
licenses GPLv3 compatible.  I rather doubt this opens a hole for
mandatory GUI attribution licenses to become GPLv3 compatible
because such licenses typically do not limit logo display to
"about" boxes and disclaimers, and therefore fail to be Appropiate
Legal Notices.

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center