Ethical Restriction

gilemon gilemon at free.fr
Wed Jan 31 21:05:06 UTC 2007

Sorry for trying again to push forward a "hypothetical discussions"...
After going through the whole genesis of Open Source, the "non-military use"
restriction sounds too clumsy to be constructively considered in this
mailing list. But it looks like there might be some room for the notion of
ethic.
As our research project involves human subjects, it has to be reviewed and
monitored by an independent ethics committee. Our project has restrictions
in order to safeguard the rights, safety, and well-being of all trial
subjects. As this is applying to our own software, in which way will it be
inherited by people reusing our sources?
Does this sound like field endeavor discrimination?
Is there any ground over which we can interface with the Open Source
community without having to create a new type of license?

Take a look at the project below to see an example of the kind of
application we are talking about:
http://emotion-research.net/

Thanks for your help,

Rgds,