[META] DELETE ME FROM THE MAILING LIST

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 29 22:30:54 UTC 2007

> If we don't include such links in every email sent by the mailing

(Actually you do, but as mailtos in the headers, using a new standard
of mailing list header that isn't supported by Outlook.)

* list (because this looks too much like what real spammers are including
* in every spam with fake "unsubscribe" links that are operated in fact

This is actually one of the reasons why people refuse to consider
unsubscribing themselves.  They've come to believe that any mailing
list that they are on and don't understand why is a spam list and therefore
using the automated unsubscribe mechanism is unlikely to work and
may be counter productive.  (Personally I can't see how they can't
distinguish between spam and legitimate technical lists - all the boundary
between spam and legitimate marketing lists can be less clear.)