SocialText license discussion--call for closure of arguments

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Jan 23 02:45:00 UTC 2007

Quoting Ross Mayfield (ross.mayfield at socialtext.com):

> Socialtext has been monitoring the conversation and we appreciate your
> input.

You're quite welcome.

I've recently noticed a significant and relevant factual error on your
"Socialtext Open Source Wiki" licensing pages:

The wiki front page is http://www.socialtext.net/stoss/ , which includes
this text:

  Socialtext Public License

  All Socialtext Open Source projects are released under the Socialtext
  Public License (MPL 1.1with an addendum, please see the Why the
  Appendix page [link]).

Following that hyperlink takes one to
http://www.socialtext.net/stoss/index.cgi?why_the_appendix, which starts
out like this:

  Why the Appendix

  Socialtext's Open Source (SPL) license contains two additonal Appendix
  not found in the original MPL.

  An attribution clause, which we are submitting for consideration as a
  standard before OSI, see Attribution Memo.

Er, one problem:  As I pointed out to you during our exchange on
December 29 (and which observation you acknowledged true), Socialtext
has NOT "submitted for consideration" to OSI Socialtext Public License's
Exhibit B "attribution" and "network use" addenda (much less the entire
modified-MPL licence, as would actually need to occur) -- no more than
Mr. Asay has ever submitted Alfresco's, no more than Mr. Roberts has
ever submitted SugarCRM's, etc.  You submitted to OSI, as discussed here,
something entirely different, a licence fragment your firm doesn't
(thus far) appear to actually use at all, anywhere -- let alone use for
Socialtext Open.

Please correct that fundamental misstatement, at your earliest
opportunity.  Thank you.

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window