[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Sun Jan 21 04:44:08 UTC 2007

As I understand it:

1. The GAP has been submitted.
2. Licenses submissions are judged by the board against the Open Source
Definition.

Thus WHETHER GAP should be approved will be judged by the board based on
the open
source definition.

Whether the open source definition should be changed is another matter
entirely.  The arguments we're mostly discussing now in which we're
trying to form clearly expressed position papers
(http://www.buni.org/mediawiki/index.php/GAP_Against,
http://www.buni.org/mediawiki/index.php/GAP_For) are based on the open
source definition as it is presently expressed, not as the proponents or
opponents of the proposal would like the OSD to be.

The below present a fairly decent summary on how we ended up here and why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Software
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_movement

-Andy

--