[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Jan 20 23:00:48 UTC 2007

Andrew Oliver wrote:
> Has anyone written Mr. Mayfield with suggested improvements to the
> language of his license?  It would be nice to have an up or down vote on
> the substance rather than the structural problems of the license
> provision.  I have a draft of how I wish it was written (clarity-wise),
> but if others agree this is a good course of action I would prefer it be
> reviewed first.

While there are risks to any committee-drafted provision, and this
discussion list isn't a committee anyway, I do believe there is merit to
Andrew's suggestion.

I'm loathe to commit myself quite yet to either the pro- or con-GAP camp for
a number of reasons, including that the language before us doesn't actually
parse. But the main reasons I don't want to vote now is that I'm in favor of
reasonable attribution requirements, just not the specific ones I've seen so
far. (Honestly, FWIW if a vote were taken now, I'd vote "NO.")

So is there a middle ground? Will an attempt to draft a middle-ground be
more productive than categorizing ourselves as either "yeah" or "nay" on
what's before us?

/Larry Rosen