[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at buni.org
Sat Jan 20 19:32:35 UTC 2007

I guess my objective is to boil the arguments down to their metal ATM.

I started out disagreeing with this #6 argument, but now can be
convinced of this for completely different reasons.  I feel that some of
the reasoning is flawed, I don't think THIS license (as I read its
intent structural issues aside) makes business use impossible to the
extent that it would violate #6.  Though I accept that the burden posed
by similar licenses may do so (persistent display), I don't think this
one does.

Here is my #6 and possibly #1 argument

Doesn't brand logo display probably have a real monetary value?  Meaning
if I were
drawing up a balance sheet and HTTPD had to display the Bunisoft logo on
every HTML web page it served (probably using mod-rewrite VOODOO) and I
took Bunisoft public --
wouldn't that show up on the books?  Probably.  Would being cited in a
buried text file
or one of 1000 starup messages at Linux boot?  Probably not.  As don't
displays on
sponsor pages of clubs and expressions of gratitude on apache.org for
instance.

However, there is a practical problem.  Depending on the size and
message contained in the logo -- it COULD run afoul:

1. "This software is supported by clubbing baby seals" with a cartoonish
display of a baby seal being clubbed... would probably prevent the
sierra club and others from using my software.

2. "Hummer drivers all will burn in hell" with a caricature of a hummer
driver on fire -- would prevent Hummer, athiests groups and other groups
from using the software.

3. An inordinately LARGE logo could be of monetary value and could make
the software impractical to use in business even if only on the splash
screen.

If these are valid arguments then you have to then accept the
impracticality of any logo attribution license unless OSI is going to
get in the business of evaluating each logo itself to see if when used
it runs afoul of the OSD...unless you believe in "self-policing" ;-)

You can argue the same is true of AAL (which its non-compliance with 10
has been stated) and to a lesser degree of BSD in that I could name my
organization BabySealClubbersOfCanada or that the Humane Society isn't
going to license software attributed to the National Rifle Association
-- but the amount of trouble one has to go to in order to have one of
these issues is much greater.  Indeed the burden of this has not been
too great as shown by the massive UNIX copyright statements from back in
the day where often competitors credited each other textually in the
part no one notices or bothers to read.  I would argue that might have
been different in the case of logos.

Thoughts?

-Andy

--