Strange Messages from Amazon.com

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Sat Jan 20 00:40:39 UTC 2007

On Jan 19, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Ben Tilly wrote:
>>  What is happening is that some spammer sends an email with a
>> return address
>> here - and it ends up hitting one of Amazons servers - so that server
>> bounces it.
>>
>> I suspect that is the cause.
>
> I strongly doubt that this is the case.  All of the emails that I've
> received of this form from this list have the message that was emailed
> included in the body - and it is always an email that I personally
> wrote.

Russ Nelson (as <postmaster at opensource.org>) had confirmed that
someone had forged email from store-news at amazon.com to this list's
subscription address, and Amazon's autoresponder sent out a message
which confirmed the subscription.

That address has been unsubscribed, and there is a trouble ticket
open at Amazon (#2709141) with the guys who wrote their auto-
responder to fix it to pay attention to the email headers normally
found in list traffic so Amazon.com ought to not approve forged
subscription requests in the future.

[ I'd complained to amazon about a week ago, and the problem was
identified about two days ago. ]

--
-Chuck