IETF IP Contribution Policy

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Fri Jan 19 17:43:03 UTC 2007

Brian Carpenter wrote:
> I am not a lawyer but I do understand enough
> law to know that I cannot give you the Brooklyn Bridge,
> because I don't own it.
<snip>
> Your very selective quote from one document in a set of documents
> is, as far as my non-lawyer understanding goes, merely saying
> "The IETF cannot grant rights that it does not own."

In this case, your understanding of the law is right on, but your
understanding of the implications for the IETF policy is dead wrong.

Of course a contributor can't give patent rights it doesn't own. BUT IT CAN
GIVE IETF PATENT RIGHTS IT DOES OWN! AND IT SHOULD!

There is no reason whatsoever, other than their obstinacy and greed, for
patent-owning IETF contributors not to be required to include along with
their copyrightable contributions to IETF the necessary patent licenses THAT
THEY ARE ABLE TO GRANT to practice those contributions in commercial
products, both open source and proprietary.

The Apache Software Foundation demands that. W3C and Oasis demand that. Why
shouldn't IETF?

We don't have to get *all* drunk drivers off the road in order to reduce
traffic accidents substantially.

/Larry