GPL

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jan 17 16:00:04 UTC 2007

Andrew C. Oliver scripsit:

> Right but the GPL does not require acceptance of the license to RUN it
> and the v3 explicitly states that.  Thus w/no acceptance, how is the
> disclaimer binding?

Because a disclaimer is not bilateral: it does not involve an offer and
acceptance.  It's exactly like a notice saying "Batteries not included";
it tells you what you aren't getting.  The only difference is that in
some jurisdictions, some warranties must be provided by law, in which case
the disclaimer is ineffective in those jurisdictions as to those warranties.

IANAL, TINLA.

--
John Cowan    cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
   There was an old man                Said with a laugh, "I