Which license to use?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Fri Jan 12 14:39:56 UTC 2007

kloprogge at pointlogic.com scripsit:

> The one thing I would like to avoid is helping competitors. I wouldn't
> want them to get a hold of some key calculation modules we've developed
> (so that's a problem) and I wouldn't want them to take our work and
> change it into a profit stream that cannabilizes ours (so that's
> doable).

I suggest that you read Eric Raymond's essay "The Magic Cauldron"
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cathbazpaper/chapter/ch05.html>,
particularly the section called "When to be Open, When to be Closed".
There is a benefit to going open source, and there is a benefit
to collecting rent on your code, but you can't do both.
Look especially at the five numbered criteria for open-sourcing.

--
With techies, I've generally found              John Cowan
If your arguments lose the first round          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
    Make it rhyme, make it scan                 cowan at ccil.org
    Then you generally can
Make the same stupid point seem profound!           --Jonathan Robie