[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Eric Renaud Eric.Renaud at Sun.COM
Thu Jan 4 07:27:16 UTC 2007

Open Source licensing under the OSI definition is in many (including my
own) eyes a good thing.  But you've got to ask:  Who
benefits from keeping open source an 'undiluted'.  Certainly those who
have code under OSI approved licenses would benefit.
Certainly those who would like to use and leverage code written under
OSI approved licenses.  I believe consumers of those
projects and their derivatives benefit as well.

The OSI has always had /someone's/ best interest at heart in its
propagation and mentoring of  'open source'.
Why, just look at the members of the board (who's names should be posted
somewhere conspicuously on the OSI site
considering their non-profit status  . . .).   The interests are
self-serving, make no mistake.  Any idea of altruism is long
out the door when it comes to that and probably could not have been
applied in the first case when it comes to 'open source'.
Even RMS (and please take no offense here, as none is intended!) enjoys
the fruits derived from his standing in the (Free) and
Open Source software would.  BTW - that's GNU Linux if you don't mind. ;)

I certainly don't, nor do I think does anyone else who, earns our bread
and butter from open source
software blame them.

All that being said, the OSI has done an excellent job in walking the
fine line in ensuring the benefit of using
an OSI approved license has remained as such (a benefit) for all those
that choose to do so.  The ideals
of Open Participation and Open Standards are still in plain view there.
And until those start to fade, the OSI
is as good as any other entity to uphold what open source is.