[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Michael Bernstein webmaven at cox.net
Thu Jan 4 04:45:41 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-03 at 20:32 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Michael Bernstein (webmaven at cox.net):
>
> > Well, I suppose this is a policy issue for the OSI.
>
> I've called the police to report drunk drivers; I've posted to mailing
> lists to report erroneous use of the term "open source".
>
> It's nice that you've managed to arrive at a different view.  Probably,
> it helps save you time and energy.
>
> > The OSI does have a moral interest and authority....
>
> Which is what I believe I said.

Umm, I wasn't arguing with *you*, Rick.

Regardless of whether the OSI, as a matter of organizational policy,
decides to coherently and consistently counter 'openwashing' propaganda,
we are certainly free to do so ourselves as individuals, on this list
and elsewhere. I've done it myself, in personal conversations, on
mailing lists, and in weblog comments.

But it isn't as effective as a concerted counter-campaign from a
dedicated organization would be.

- Michael R. Bernstein
  michaelbernstein.com