Beerware license

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 23:03:04 UTC 2007

On 1/1/07, Scythereal <scythereal at bitmeta.org> wrote:
> Just out of interest, does the beerware license come under the open source
> definition, or is the obligation to buy the author a beer in violation of
> the 'free' aspect?

I think it would be determined to be open source if it was submitted.
(Note that you are only obliged to buy the author a beer "if you feel
it was worth it".  ie You are not obliged to buy the beer.)  However
if you like that license then I'd suggest using a BSD style license
instead.  My non-lawyerly understanding is that there is real value in
having an explicit disclaimer of liability.

Cheers,
Ben