Looking for OS Licence for DB Dump

Adrian Wiesmann awiesmann at somap.org
Tue Feb 27 21:33:56 UTC 2007

Hello all

Thanks for your comments so far. Just a few notes.

> As he said, the content usually isn't.  The database (i.e. arrangement,
> structure, field names) itself may be.

I think this link here helped me quite much:

> > http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/database.html

especially these sentences:

"The limited copyright protection provided to databases makes it
imperative that database owners and developers protect their databases
through contract law. Through an enforceable contract, typically in the
form of a license to use the database, the end user can be prohibited from
extracting data from the database for uses other than those intended by
the database owner."

IMHO this is what the OSVDB licence does better than the other suggestions
so far. It specifically says that it is a database and that it defines the
usage of the databases content. The other licences leave much space for
interpretation: Does it cover the content, or only the architecture, or
both...

And the above sentences learn me another thing: The wording of the licence
is very much important concerning the *allowed usage* of the database and
its content. I start to believe that crafting a licence for our Repository
is much more complicated than compiling the content. And it looks as if
there is a lack of licences for this specific purpose...

Adrian