Question on OSD #5

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Dec 15 01:55:53 UTC 2007

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> Ernie Prabhakar wrote:
>> Sounds like a good ticket. Matt, do you want to file it? :-)
>
> Every open source license already "allows private modifications." However
> some licenses, including OSL 3.0 and the new Affero GPL, require those
> private modifications to be treated as "distributions" under certain
> circumstances.
>
> Surely you don't want to prohibit those more aggressive reciprocal/copyleft
> licenses?
>
> Please explain here what the "good ticket" actually is before you submit it.
>
> /Larry

I would not recommend adding this to the OSD at this time.  As noted, I
believe it is implied.   I should have been more clear that I don't want
to change the OSD now.  Thus, I don't think a ticket is necessary.

OSI would probably want to define private modification as private
modification without external network communication, if such a clause
were added.

Matt Flaschen