Question on OSD #5

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Fri Dec 14 01:31:59 UTC 2007

Nigel Tzeng wrote:
>There were a few problems with JOSL which is why they
>deprecated it rather than fixed it with a new version.

Heh...and to not malign Larry work...I hunted for the vaguely remembered problem:

		"4. If we are going to keep using JOSL as an OSI-recommended license, it
		really needs to be rewritten (e.g., it asserts that all code under JOSL
		belongs to Jabber Inc.!). I think it is simpler to deprecate it."

http://mailman.jabber.org/pipermail/members/2005-August/003322.html

Between its disuse and desire for non-proliferation the jabber board elected to
deprecate the license.