When to evaluate dual licenses

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Thu Dec 13 23:05:50 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 2:23 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>>> This is not the FSF's view (they claim that even optional use of
>>> Readline means that the program falls under the requirements of
>>> the GPL).
>>
>> Indeed, for example see:
>>
>>  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html
>
> Where does that talk about programs that use Readline optionally?

The section about "limiting its use to free programs"; the complete
paragraph is:

"However, when a library provides a significant unique capability,
like GNU Readline, that's a horse of a different color. The Readline
library implements input editing and history for interactive programs,
and that's a facility not generally available elsewhere. Releasing it
under the GPL and limiting its use to free programs gives our
community a real boost. At least one application program is free
software today specifically because that was necessary for using
Readline."

--
-Chuck