When to evaluate dual licenses (was: license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Tue Dec 4 15:47:42 UTC 2007

Arnoud Engelfriet scripsit:

> When you explicitly say "I'm electing GPLv2 only and passing you
> a copy under GPLv2 section 1", I don't think the recipient can
> automatically exercise GPLv3 on the work. Otherwise you would get
> into the absurd situation that the downstream recipient can exercise
> a right that the distributor has chosen not to grant him.

It's not absurd at all, because of the unanimous testimony of GPLv2
clause 5 and GPLv3 clause 10:

	Each time you {redistribute the Program (or a work based on the
	Program)|convey a covered work}, the recipient automatically
	receives a license from the original licensor{|s} to {copy,
	distribute or modify the Program|run, modify and propagate that
	work} subject to {these terms and conditions|this License}.

So when Bob conveys Alice's work to Carol, Carol gets a license not from
Bob but from Alice herself.  (The FSF has never conveyed any software to
me, but I hold many licenses from them nevertheless.)  The licensing is
triggered by the conveying, but does not follow the conveying.	This is
equally true for an unmodified work or a modified one, except when Bob has
attached restrictive terms to his part of the code under GPLv3 clause 7.

> For example, suppose the distributor integrates the "GPLv2 or later"
> work in a DRM module. Considering section 3 of GPLv3, the distributor
> likely only wants to be bound by GPLv2. He could then explicitly
> elect GPLv2 only, and comply by identifying GPLv2 and including
> source on a CD-ROM with the product.
>
> It would be most peculiar if the recipient could then receive a GPLv3
> license to the work from the copyright holder and use its section 3
> against the distributor, who explicitly refused to accept GPLv3.

Hard cheese for him.  The buyer gets both a GPLv2 and a GPLv3 license
for that part of the code directly from the author without further action
on anybody's part.

By Elbereth and Luthien the Fair, you shall     cowan at ccil.org
have neither the Ring nor me!  --Frodo          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan