license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Dec 1 21:14:06 UTC 2007

John Cowan wrote:
> It's generally understood that if something is licensed under the GPL
> and the MPL, for example, that the licensee's powers are the union of
> those given by the GPL and by the MPL.

I don't believe that. If my choice is between License A and License B, I
can't pick and choose some combination of provisions from A and B to create
my own preferred set of terms. I get either A or B, but not both.

It may be, depending upon license details, that once I choose between A and
B, I am committing all derivative works in the future to that choice.

/Larry