license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sat Dec 1 19:39:09 UTC 2007

Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2007 10:09 AM, Arnoud Engelfriet <arnoud at engelfriet.net> wrote:
> > No. It is up to the users to elect whether they want to exercise
> > the GPLv2 or GPLv3 rights. Few users make their choice explicit.
> > Until someone feeds GPLv3 modifications to a "v2 or later" project,
> > you can't count the project as GPLv3.
>
> Uhmm. But the FSF/SFLC says that GPLv2 and GPLv3 are *incompatible*!
> And you, Arnoud, is on record conceding that you "in practice ... go
> with the FSF's opinion ... I do as Moglen says. End quote (source:
> "conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review" thread on
> license-discuss). So I gather that you probably meant to say

Do not put words into my mouth. Rather, learn to read. Then, go away.

The FSF's preferred statement says that the user has the option to
apply any later version of the GPL to the work. The work is GPLv2
until someone forks it and explicitly says he has elected the option
to apply GPLv3. Then that fork becomes GPLv3.

What this has to do with incompatibility I don't know. But then,
your contributions usually make no sense. I'm actually surprised
that you managed to add more original text than misquotes from
irrelevant US case law.

Now please go away.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/