Take 3: Editors and Trackers

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Dec 1 19:01:10 UTC 2007

Luis Villa scripsit:

> So, I admit I haven't been following this discussion very closely, so
> perhaps I'm misreading the page. But it seems to suggest that this
> wiki (as opposed to all other wikis) will allow only experts to edit
> it. Obviously, having a core of people who maintain and oversee edits
> by others is not a bad thing (~Administrators in wikipedia-speak), but
> if I'm understanding it correctly, allowing only those people to edit,
> and no one else, seems a bit bizarre to me.

Wikis with restricted membership are now common.  In the past I participated
in one that required people to create accounts, and I now participate in
one that does not even allow you to create an account except by asking
the administrator.  When a wiki is small and specialized, these choices
may be reasonable tradeoffs as against having a horde of people to
control vandalism and wikispam.

John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan at ccil.org
In might the Feanorians / that swore the unforgotten oath
brought war into Arvernien / with burning and with broken troth.
and Elwing from her fastness dim / then cast her in the waters wide,
but like a mew was swiftly borne, / uplifted o'er the roaring tide.
        --the Earendillinwe