OT - GNU Contract Law Theory: ANTICIPATORY REPUDIATION

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 00:08:12 UTC 2007

On 8/30/07, Chris Travers <chris.travers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/29/07, Alexander Terekhov <alexander.terekhov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/29/07, Mahesh T. Pai <paivakil at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> > > Alexander Terekhov said on Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 08:25:20PM +0200,:
> > >
> > >  > Intellectual property license are contracts governed by the laws of
> > >  > contract.
> > >
> > > Wrong.
>

>  rotfl.  Moral of the story:  Always limit scopes of statements
> appropriately.  How much knowledge does Alexander have about Indian
> copyright law, I wonder....

Not much. But wait a bit... <googling>

Ha!

http://www.dakshindia.com/Contracts&Agreements.asp

-------
Contracts & Agreements

The law relating to contracts and agreements is found in the Indian
Contract Act, 1872. As per Section 2(e) of the said Act, every promise
and every set of promises, forming the consideration for each other,
is an "Agreement". According to Section 2(h) of the same Act, an
agreement enforceable by law is a "Contract".

[...]

Copyright License Agreements
------

http://dateyvs.com/gener03.htm

------
We enter into contracts so many times in a day that 'contract' has
become an indispensable part of our life. When you purchase milk or
newspaper in the morning or go to movie in the evening, you are
entering into a contract. Indian Contract Act really codifies the way
we enter into a contract, execute a contract, implement provisions of
a contract and effects of breach of a contract. Basically, a person is
free to contract on any terms he chooses. The Contract Act consists of
limiting factors subject to which contract may be entered into,
executed and breach enforced. It only provides a framework of rules
and regulations which govern formation and performance of contract.
The rights and duties of parties and terms of agreement are decided by
the contracting parties themselves. The court of law acts to enforce
agreement, in case of non-performance.
------

Hey Mahesh, care to elaborate?

regards,