We need list rules, was MS-PL/GPL compatibility, was Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 24 02:57:22 UTC 2007

Quoting Chris Travers (chris.travers at gmail.com):

> For what it is worth, I think hiding behind old posts defining desired
> behavior on the list for no reason other than to protect your
> viewpoint from being questioned....

Well-poison much?

You asserted that this is "a list for discussing licenses in general".
I pointed out that, no, you are factually in error as to the openly
declared and unchanged mission of this list, while agreeing that this
fact is not adequately documented, suggesting where _instead of here_
you should have sent that suggestion, and mentioning for reasons of
perspective that offtopic digressions here are largely condoned.

(Condoned means "characterised by having a blind eye turned towards it",
not "approved".  You can add that to your list of things to look up.)

I also cited, pro bono publico, a few common-sense heuristics as to
types of digression likely to meet favour.

You _could_ have said "Thanks".  I'm disappointed but not hugely surprised
that you launched a non-sequitur, irrelevant personal attack, instead.

To quote the late Mr Vonnegut, "So it goes."