MS-PL/GPL compatibility, was Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 21:11:49 UTC 2007

On 8/23/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>
> > And my I just note that GNUish "derived work" (A work + B work =
> > "derived work") is certanly NOT consistent with the definition in the
> > U.S. Copyright Act, as applicable to computer software. For more
> > details, see:
> >
> > http://www.usfca.edu/law/determann/softwarecombinations060403.pdf
>
> The GPL only applies to derivative works under U.S. copyright law.  If

Yeah, right.

http://fsfeurope.org/projects/gplv3/barcelona-moglen-transcript.en.html#derivative

-----
[Section: No more reliance on "derivative works"]

I will say, therefore, the second discussion draft of GPL3 will not
have any longer any dependency on the American copyright law idea of a
"derivative work". Accordingly we will be able to avoid another
fifteen years of complaining from lawyers who quite justifiably
thought the reliance on a US centric view of the derivative work was a
major source of uncertainty and uneasiness. They may think that what
we have done instead is not a perfect improvement, but I feel certain
that there will at least be the recognition that it's a useful
development.
-----

LOL.

regards,