License compatibility of MS-PL and MS-CL (Was: (RE: Groklaw's OSI item (was: When will CPAL actually be _used_?))

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 23 20:48:21 UTC 2007

John Cowan wrote:

> I sincerely hope that these reassurances will dispose of all bogus
> incompatible-with-everything claims, though I know this list far too
> well to suppose that we will actually hear no more of them.

He said that binary derivative works containing MS-PL code could be
under any license.  I'm concerned about derivative works distributed as
source code.

The only thing he said about this is "The purpose of requiring
that source code redistributions be made only under the terms of the
Ms-PL is to allow developers a choice of a license that will ensure that
their source code will only be distributed under terms that they have
explicitly chosen. [...] The Ms-PL provides developers a licensing
option that ensures their code will be distributed initially and later
under terms and conditions they have chosen and agree with."

Matt Flaschen