Groklaw's OSI item (was: When will CPAL actually be _used_?)

Mike Milinkovich mike.milinkovich at eclipse.org
Wed Aug 22 21:10:47 UTC 2007

I agree that it is important to the credibility of the OSI that it apply the
OSD to the Microsoft request in a completely rational manner, and that it
either certify the licenses or document where they are deficient. No special
treatment, either positively or negatively.

Proliferation and compatibility (GPL or otherwise) are red herrings. Despite
the conversations on proliferation last year, new licenses have been
approved by the OSI, so clearly it remains in the license certification
business. And compatibility is not part of the OSD, as the existence of the
GPL, MPL, CPL, EPL and others demonstrate. (E.g. not even all of the
existing "tier one" licenses are compatible.)

It is to the benefit to all of us in the open source community that
Microsoft begins to follow the OSI certification program, and use its marks.
As a large, IP-savvy company, I believe that they will use those marks with
appropriate care, because failure to do so has no upside and a great deal of
downside.

The simple fact that they have submitted licenses for approval implies that
they are taking open source a great deal more seriously than in the past.
This is a good thing.

Mike Milinkovich
Executive Director
Eclipse Foundation, Inc.